Christopher Marquis

Skip to main content

MaineWorks: Pioneering Social Impact Through Staffing

MaineWorks: Pioneering Social Impact Through Staffing

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 0

Founded by Margo Walsh, a visionary who understands the transformative power of work, MaineWorks, a staffing firm that provides labor to clients across multiple industries in the states of Maine and New Hampshire has carved a niche in connecting people in recovery from substance abuse or transitioning from incarceration with meaningful employment in construction and other industries. This innovative approach not only addresses labor shortages but also provides opportunities for social rehabilitation.

Walsh and I spoke as part of my research on purpose-driven companies, and she shared more about the launch of MaineWorks, how it helps strengthen the local workforce as well as local companies, and its ongoing expansion, connecting more people with new opportunities and quality jobs.

These issues are fundamental to reducing the income and wealth gaps that plague US society and also addressing systemic discrimination, all of which are themes of my recent book The Profiteers: How Business Privatizes Profit and Socializes Cost

Below are some key points from my article on MaineWorks:

• The Genesis of MaineWorks: Originating from Walsh's volunteer experiences and her own recovery journey, MaineWorks embodies the fusion of her professional experiences with a passion for social good. "I always just relied on my capability of connecting," she explains, highlighting her unique approach to staffing.

• Bridging Gaps, Building Futures: MaineWorks has significantly impacted both individuals and businesses by facilitating employment for over a thousand people. "These guys were in transition living so had stable housing, three meals. It was ideal for the construction clients and great for the guys," Walsh recounts, underlining the mutual benefits of their model.

• Beyond Profit: As a Certified B Corporation, MaineWorks is at the forefront of businesses that prioritize social and environmental impact alongside financial performance. Walsh's commitment to this ethos is clear, in addition to creating positive benefits, "companies should be held accountable for their negative impacts."

• Empowerment through Employment: Walsh believes in the transformative potential of steady employment and cites the program’s success statistics. "People who stay engaged and employed...have a 75% chance of being happily ever after," she states, advocating for the role of work in fostering stability and self-sufficiency.

• A Vision for Inclusive Growth: Looking ahead, Walsh envisions a future where businesses play a pivotal role in addressing social challenges through partnerships and proactive engagement. "Finding a different way forward is absolutely available to all of us," she asserts, calling for a collaborative approach to social innovation.

In conclusion, MaineWorks exemplifies how businesses can be a force for positive change, offering vital lessons for leaders across industries. By prioritizing social impact, fostering inclusive employment practices, and embracing accountability, companies can not only enhance their own resilience but also contribute to a more equitable and sustainable future.