Skip to main content

Increasing importance of ESG reporting

Increasing importance of ESG reporting

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 15

ESG reporting is becoming increasingly important to organization.  ESG reporting is being seen as a tool not only  to attract investors and financing but to position as an ethical and socially responsible entity.  With the ever evolving business  models practices, processes , etc.,  stakeholders are beginning to realize the importance and advantages of ESG compliance leading to better marketing and sales leverage and at the same time contributing positively towards the social-economy.

Regulatory changes, lifestyle changes and increasing digitalization practices are also compelling companies and stakeholders to adopt or shift towards ESG reporting to stay relevant in the business world as more and more consumers/customers are opting for products and services by ESG compliant companies.

In reply to ESG Business Institute

Re: Increasing importance of ESG reporting

by Duduzile Ludada -
ESG Reporting has been overlooked for many years with organization not seeing the importance in investing it it. What is also important is the consistency in disclosing ESG information, accuracy and factual

by Daniel Aviña-Ramírez -
In my experience regarding industrial warehouse portfolios, it is difficult to correctly reflect the actual performance of buildings, since property owners often only do the bare minimum to improve the energy efficiency of their infrastructure. ESG is still in its early stages and the lack of standardization can lead to greenwashing practices that can be overlooked by inverstors not versed enough in sustainability issues.

by Fadzai Praise Musakana -
ESG reporting has become crucial for organizations as it aligns with stakeholder expectations, manages risks, adheres to regulations and attracts capital and talent. When used properly it helps with the company's reputation and long-term value creation. While there are problems aligned to ESG reporting, the emphasis should be on strengthening ESG reporting practices for example, through adopting standardized ESG reporting frameworks.

by Cristina Mas Luengo -
I totally agree with this. ESG reporting is getting more and more important for companies. It's not just about attracting investors, it's also a way to show that a company is doing the right thing socially and ethically. As businesses keep changing and evolving, people are starting to see that following ESG rules has lots of benefits. This helps with marketing and sales, and it also makes a positive impact on society and the economy. Plus, with things changing like laws, the way we live, and how everything's going digital, it's making companies really think about ESG reporting to stay in the game. Customers want products and services from companies that care about this topic.
In reply to Cristina Mas Luengo

by Ee Beng Tan -
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Perhaps I will have an unpopular opinion here. While Sustainability Reporting (SR) is indeed important, I think Sustainability Report does not equate to Great ESG performance. Firstly, SR is a volunteered disclosure, i.e. company choose what and how to report. Secondly, good reporting or balance reporting may not translate to company creating good ESG outcome. Lastly, SR that is assured by third party - the reliability of the data reported, does not guarantee the reported initiatives are impactful.
In reply to Ee Beng Tan

by Marizabel Valencia Sánchez -
Ee I want to know why you said that SR does not equate to great ESG performance. I know that it's voluntary, but most companies are certified. In the case of Colombia, all large companies verify Sustainability reports. So, what is better?
In reply to Marizabel Valencia Sánchez

by Ee Beng Tan -
Thanks Marizabel, for responding smile.

In my opinion, While it is true that certain countries required the sustainability report to be assured / Validated by third party, the scope of validation is often to identify the information is consistent, logical or otherwise. Seal of assurance (or the so-called Certification) is a mechanism to ensure people are not green washing or over claiming with their SR.

But the bigger question will be if what is being reported is actually a good indicator of sustainable company. For example, a bank has a SR report that highlighted and detailed how much they have helped local children in Africa to access to clean water as part of their SDG commitment. The data is legitimate and verified / assured by a third party such as the Big 4. While this is good work, I would be not very confident to equate that with a sustainable organisation, for the reason that the project is not part of how the company operates.

Perhaps the above is more focus on external project. Another example: let’s say a company is selling solar panel. They disclosed that they are treating their employee well and have reported how they practice safety in all their operations and also trying to invest in circular economy in their product and packaging. What they have claimed is correct and truthful, assured by a third party. But those are the items that they have chosen to disclose to be validated. It is no surprise that there are still more than half of public do not trust sustainability report as mentioned in GRI research back in 2020 here: https://www.eco-business.com/news/public-faith-in-sustainability-reports-is-rising-globally-but-more-than-half-of-people-still-dont-trust-company-claims/

The reality is that no company would want to shoot their foot and expose themselves to the potential of greater scrutiny for watchdog by fully telling what is wrong.
Perhaps some company would actually be wanting to be honest about everything. But ESG Certification such as B Corp, Fairtrade, LEED, Cradle to Cradle, would offer a much reliable option. Firstly, ESG Certification body set an independent standard and measure company against the standard. This will effectively prevent company to select whatever methodology that highlight their advantage, but may not be universally good. Next, company go through third party audit, which companies may not have as much control over what are to disclose or not to disclose. Lastly, company will be punished by having their certification revoked if there is a bridged of the established standard. This will ensure the continuation of their commitment, and not just on a paper.
But of course, happy to hear opinion of the others as well on this matter. Let’s learn from each other.
In reply to Ee Beng Tan

by Marizabel Valencia Sánchez -
I completely agree with your perspective. Numerous companies present themselves as sustainable simply due to their charitable initiatives, rather than due to the sustainability of their operational processes. Based on my experience, I believe the ideal approach is to combine sustainability reports (SR) with certifications. Certifications are often more manageable to comprehend than a lengthy 500-page report.

The concept of companies "adapting" to a framework that highlights their advantages is quite intriguing – thank you for sharing this perspective.

I've always believed that actions carry more weight than words, and what better way to demonstrate sustainability than through a certification that validates a company's commitment. I am concerned about the abundance of frameworks worldwide, leaving companies unsure about which one to follow or which certification to pursue.

Overall, your passage effectively addresses the issue of companies misrepresenting sustainability and the importance of certifications in the process.

by Bhagyaraj K -
I agree, ESG reporting is becoming more important for all enterprises. It's not just about attracting investors; it's also about proving that a company is performing responsibly in terms of social and moral conduct. Consumers in the current world are seeking for items that are made with environmental sustainability parameters.

by Juan Felipe Pinto Castelblanco -
I agree. ESG reporting is a game-changer for organizations. It's not just about numbers anymore, it's like showing the world your company's values and impact. Doing good is good for business.

by Daniel Castañeda -
I totally agree, it's essential for companies to approach it with authenticity and a genuine commitment to positive change. Effective ESG reporting goes beyond public relations and marketing; it requires embedding sustainability into the core of the business strategy and operations. By doing so, companies can leverage ESG reporting to build resilience, drive innovation, and make meaningful contributions to a more sustainable and equitable world.

by Laura Sofia Llanos -
The growing importance of ESG reporting within organizational paradigms is a discourse that demands contemplation. In an era characterized by heightened environmental awareness and growing social consciousness, the convergence of economic, social and governance (ESG) factors in corporate narratives has fostered a transformative landscape. It is in this arena that the question of the growing relevance of ESG reporting arises.

Contemporary business ethics are based on sustainability, transparency and accountability. ESG reporting, akin to a multidimensional prism, refracts the many facets of an organization's engagement with its stakeholders and the wider ecosystem. With a focus on environmental impact, social inclusion, ethical governance and financial resilience, ESG reporting emerges as a compass that guides organizations toward holistic progress.

Moreover, the alliance between responsible investment and ESG metrics underscores the role of reporting as a gateway to the infusion of conscious capital.

by Marium Ishaque -
ESG reporting is becoming increasingly important for companies for the following reasons:
*Investors make investment decisions on the basis of sustainability-related risks and opportunities and demand for the sustainability data disclosure.
*Companies disclose their sustainability practices to show their position, how well they are performing and improving their reputation.
*It facilitates companies access to global value chain.
*Regulatory requirements, for instance, The Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation is European Union regulation that requires sustainability-related disclosure in financial market sector.
In reply to Marium Ishaque

by Yudhi Pradhana -
Thank you for the answer!

Agree that ESG reporting mostly benefitted external parties such as investors, customers/consumers, and the government I would also add ESG reporting adds value for internal stakeholders such as Internalizing Purpose, Clarifying ESG roadmap ahead, Strengthen Governance, Attract and Retain talent etc. 

by Nur Asmira Mohamad Afzan -
It's clear that the many advantages of ESG reporting are making it increasingly important. These reports help organizations present themselves as morally and socially conscious enterprises and draw in funding and investors. Furthermore, ESG compliance is becoming more widely acknowledged as a means of boosting sales and marketing power and favorably impacting the social economy.