Skip to main content

In your opinion, which ESG Tool(s) is/are most appropriate to your organization and why?

In your opinion, which ESG Tool(s) is/are most appropriate to your organization and why?

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 22

Sustainability reporting is the disclosure and communication of environmental, social, and governance (ESG) goals—as well as a company’s progress towards them. The benefits of sustainability reporting include improved corporate reputation, building consumer confidence, increased innovation, and even improvement of risk management.

There are many ways to build sustainability reporting into your corporate social responsibility programs, whether by making use of established sustainability reporting tools such as GRI, SASB, ISSB or CDP, including sustainability performance as part of your overall performance disclosures, by using guidelines such as those created by the International Integrated Reporting Committee (IIRC), or making use of ranking tools such as the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI). Nevertheless, incorporating all ESG tools at once will be a daunting task for any ESG practitioner. In your opinion, which ESG Tool(s) is/are most appropriate to your organization and why?

In reply to ESG Business Institute

Re: In your opinion, which ESG Tool(s) is/are most appropriate to your organization and why?

by Presley Tan -
It would depends on the target group that my organization will be focusing on.

If it is a general reporting, GRI combine with SASB would be a good combination. The GRI provides comprehensive ESG reporting guidance and has been widely adopted by companies around the world. The SASB standards focus on industry-specific ESG issues that are financially material to companies and are used by many investors in their ESG analysis.

But if my organization would like to communicate ESG performance in the context of our overall business strategy and value creation., I would go for IIRC. IIRC is able to provide a combines financial and non-financial information in a single report to provide a holistic view of a company's value creation.
If my organization would like to benchmark ESG performance against peers and demonstrate our leadership in ESG performance to stakeholders, I would go for Dow Jones Sustainability Index since it evaluates companies based on their ESG performance relative to their industry peers.
Ultimately, the most appropriate ESG tool for an organization will depend on their specific goals, material issues, and stakeholder expectations.
In reply to Presley Tan

Re: In your opinion, which ESG Tool(s) is/are most appropriate to your organization and why?

by Fadzai Praise Musakana -
The organization is a representative for B Lab and is focused on B Corp certification, the B Impact Assessment would likely be the most appropriate ESG tool. Other tools such as GRI can be used due to the organization's involvement in e-learning and digitalization. GRI can help disclose the company's impact on education quality, digital inclusion, workforce diversity, and more. SROI tool can be valuable for measuring the social value generated by e-learning services and recruitment support within the company. CDP can help measure and disclose the carbon footprint and develop strategies to reduce it.

by Jian Ming -
Given that my organization is a social enterprise focused on sustainability education and Waste-as-a-resource projects, the following ESG tools may be most appropriate for my organization:

1) Global Reporting Initiative (GRI): GRI provides a comprehensive framework for sustainability reporting, covering a wide range of ESG topics. It allows organizations to report on their environmental impacts, social initiatives, governance practices, and more. GRI's broad scope aligns well with the multidimensional focus of your organization, enabling us to communicate our sustainability goals and progress effectively.

2) Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB): While SASB is commonly associated with industry-specific reporting, it can still be valuable for our organization. SASB's standards provide guidance on disclosing financially material ESG topics. By aligning our reporting with SASB's industry-specific standards for waste management, education, or related sectors, we can highlight the specific ESG issues most relevant to our organization's activities.

3) Circular Economy Reporting Framework: As our organization focuses on Waste-as-a-resource projects, incorporating circular economy reporting frameworks, such as the Circular Economy Reporting Framework developed by the Ellen MacArthur Foundation, can be highly relevant. This framework helps organizations measure and disclose their circular economy performance, including waste reduction, recycling initiatives, and circular business models. It provides a structured approach to report on our organization's contributions to the circular economy.

4) Impact Measurement and Management Frameworks: Alongside traditional ESG reporting, consider adopting impact measurement and management frameworks that assess the social and environmental outcomes of our projects. Tools like the Social Return on Investment (SROI) or the B Impact Assessment can help quantify and communicate the positive social and environmental impact created by our organization's sustainability education initiatives and Waste-as-a-resource projects.

Choosing the appropriate ESG tools involves considering the specific areas of focus and objectives of our organization. By leveraging frameworks that align with our industry, addressing waste management and circular economy aspects, and incorporating impact measurement frameworks, we can effectively report on your organization's sustainability efforts and highlight the positive social and environmental outcomes we are striving to achieve.

by Neomi Curtis -
If I had an organization, the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) would undoubtedly be the ESG reporting framework that I would choose. The decision to select GRI stems from its numerous compelling attributes and the value it brings to the sustainability reporting process.

One of the primary reasons for choosing GRI is its widespread recognition and extensive usage across various industries. GRI has established itself as a highly reputable and trusted framework for sustainability reporting, with numerous companies and organizations worldwide adopting its guidelines. By aligning my organization's reporting with GRI, we would become part of a global community committed to transparent and credible sustainability disclosures. This widespread adoption would enhance the credibility of our sustainability efforts and help us gain the trust of stakeholders, including investors, customers, employees, and regulators.

Furthermore, GRI's comprehensive coverage of every area relevant to sustainability reporting is a crucial factor in my decision. The reporting guidelines provided by GRI encompass a wide range of environmental, social, and governance indicators, ensuring that my organization can comprehensively address all material aspects of our sustainability performance. GRI's inclusive approach allows us to consider a broad spectrum of sustainability issues that may have a significant impact on our business and stakeholders. By reporting on a comprehensive set of indicators, we can provide a holistic view of our sustainability journey and highlight our commitment to responsible practices.

GRI's global applicability is another key consideration. As an organization with multinational operations and stakeholders worldwide, the adoption of a globally recognized reporting framework becomes imperative. GRI's international recognition allows us to communicate our sustainability efforts effectively to a diverse audience with varying cultural backgrounds and expectations. Using GRI as our reporting tool ensures that we adhere to global reporting standards, facilitating comparisons and benchmarking with other organizations operating in different regions and sectors.

Moreover, GRI's emphasis on materiality aligns perfectly with my organization's approach to sustainability reporting. By focusing on material issues, we can prioritize and address the most relevant and impactful aspects of our business's sustainability performance. This approach allows us to provide meaningful insights and transparency into the areas that truly matter to our stakeholders and our long-term success. Reporting on material issues also demonstrates our commitment to continuous improvement and the creation of sustainable value.

In conclusion, if I had an organization, selecting the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) as our ESG reporting framework would be a strategic and well-informed choice. GRI's widespread recognition, comprehensive coverage of sustainability aspects, and global applicability would enhance the credibility of our sustainability disclosures and enable us to communicate our commitment to sustainability effectively. By prioritizing materiality and focusing on impactful issues, we can provide meaningful insights to our stakeholders, driving continuous improvement, and contributing positively to both our business and society. Embracing GRI would align us with a global community of organizations committed to sustainable practices, fostering a more sustainable and responsible business ecosystem.

by Duduzile Ludada -
GRI & JSE guidelines for Sustainability Reporting. CDP for Climate change related issues. MSCI and S&P Global for Global benchmarking and scoring.

by Daniel Aviña-Ramírez -
I think SASB offers a very precise insight of a company's performance since it takes into account industry-specific metrics that have more siginificant impacts. Paired up with the general rating of GRI, this provides a complete overview of the company's performance while taking into account the context of its industry. For enhanced rating insights, I would consider B-Corp and CDP to include social and environmental issues in a more strict manner.

by Marizabel Valencia Sánchez -
In the Colombian context, the GRI framework has gained significant prominence and widespread adoption among companies. More recently, the SASB framework has gained traction alongside GRI due to its seamless integration into reporting practices. However, it's noteworthy that large publicly-listed companies often adopt additional measures such as utilizing indexes like the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI). The implementation of sustainability initiatives is further exemplified through the widespread adoption of ISO standards, which has become almost obligatory across various sectors.

Interestingly, within Colombia's growing business landscape, the emergence of the B Corporation certification is particularly noteworthy. This certification holds special appeal for enterprises seeking to engrain sustainability as a fundamental element of their organizational identity, thus fostering a meaningful societal and environmental impact.
In reply to Marizabel Valencia Sánchez

by Alexandra Donose -
Romanian companies were gradually becoming more aware of Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) practices, and some tools and frameworks commonly used globally were starting to gain traction in the Romanian business landscape.
In Romania, according to a survey, unfortunately only 30% of the interviewed companies declared that they have ESG policies in place and 63% say that they are familiar with them.
In my opinion, the most appropriate ESG tools for an organization would be the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) because it provides a comprehensive framework for sustainability reporting. The organization could use the GRI’s guidelines to structure and disclose their ESG-related information in a standardized format.
Another one could be the CDP. This tool could help Romanian companies in assessing their environmental impact and identify the areas that can be improved.

by Laura Lizbeth Sanchez Ruiz -
I have a non profit organization, so I think that could start basically with a ESG Frameworks (IIRC) to look forward in the organization vision ando also mission. Is an starting project so I could include the UN SDG. It is difficult to defined at this point, but there are a lot of possibilities.

by María Paula Olaya Pulido -
In my opinion, for an organization focused on humanitarian aid like ours, the selection of ESG tools requires careful consideration to align with our core values and mission. Among the prominent ESG frameworks available, the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI), the Sustainability Accounting Standards Board (SASB), the International Sustainability Standards Board (ISSB), and the Dow Jones Sustainability Index all have unique merits that could contribute to our organization's ESG reporting and practices.
- Global Reporting Initiative (GRI): GRI is a well-established and widely recognized framework that offers comprehensive guidelines for reporting on environmental, social, and governance aspects. Given our humanitarian focus, GRI's emphasis on social impacts, stakeholder engagement, and inclusivity aligns well with our commitment to positively impacting communities.
- Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI): Being included in the DJSI can serve as a recognition of our commitment to ESG excellence. The DJSI evaluates companies based on a range of sustainability criteria, including social and environmental factors. Our alignment with DJSI standards could attract positive attention from investors, donors, and partners who prioritize ESG considerations, enabling us to secure the resources needed to advance our humanitarian initiatives.
In general, as a humanitarian aid organization, we must carefully select ESG tools that resonate with our core mission and values. GRI, SASB, ISSB, and Dow Jones Sustainability Index all offer distinct advantages that can enhance our ESG reporting and practices. By strategically combining elements from these frameworks, we can effectively communicate our social impact, industry-specific sustainability efforts, and global alignment, ultimately strengthening our position as a leader in humanitarian aid while showcasing our commitment to a better world.

by Juan Felipe Pinto Castelblanco -
Well, in my opinion, starting with something like GRI or SASB could be a wise move for my organization. They cover a wide range of topics and could help us better promote our environmental initiatives. It's like finding the right puzzle piece to fit our company's distinctive picture. Exploring alternative possibilities such as CDP may also be on the horizon, but only time will tell.

by Marzia Puya -
In my opinion, each company have different goals and missions, we need to select the measurement tools based on their goals and missions. my company is working on women empowerment and gender issues on renewable energy sectors. therefor, I should select the GRI and SROI tools: GRI can help disclose the company's impact on education quality, digital inclusion, workforce diversity, equity and etc. SROI tool can be valuable for measuring the social value generated by e-learning services and recruitment support within the company. in addition, SDGs and CDP tools also used for this studies to evaluate the gender and equality issues.
and to understand the zero carbon footprint for energy sectors. these tools will guide us to disclose the comprehensive ESG Reports on renewable energy.

by Daniel Castañeda -
Considering the unique context of a high school, a combination of GRI-like reporting, CDP-like environmental focus, and IIRC-like integration into the educational mission might be most suitable. It's important for the school to choose tools that resonate with its stakeholders (students, parents, teachers, and the community) and align with its capacity and priorities. The goal is to foster a culture of sustainability, social responsibility, and ethical behavior among students while building trust and confidence within the broader community.

by Bhagyaraj K -
ESG tools are completely dependent on the sector a company operates in. In general, GRI offers detailed advice on ESG reporting, and businesses frequently use it. When comparing ESG metrics with peers in the same industry, we will use the Dow Jones Sustainability Index, and SASB reporting makes it easier to disclose ESG issues that are financially important. Selecting an ESG tool is entirely based on organizational objectives, stakeholder expectations, and resource management.

by Laura Sofia Llanos -
For a company who is dedicated for sale of organic products for the countryside, it would be a good idea combine Global Reporting Initiative (GRI): because GRI provides a comprehensive framework for sustainability reporting, covering a wide range of ESG topics. It allows organizations to report on their environmental impacts and social initiatives. Also Would recommend ife Cycle Assessment (LCA):
In the tapestry of organic product retail, This tool fathoms the entire lifecycle of a product – from cultivation to consumption – dissecting the ecological footprint with granular precision. Given your focus on organic products within the agricultural domain, LCA can unfurl the intricate dance between cultivation practices, packaging choices, and transportation impact. It illuminates areas where sustainability gains can be reaped, fostering ecologically informed decisions.

by Khaw Wei Jing -
The combination of GRI, TCFD, and SDGs as ESG tools is a comprehensive approach for our organization. GRI's structured reporting framework ensures transparency across various sustainability topics, TCFD provides a focused mechanism for addressing climate-related financial risks, and aligning with specific SDGs not only demonstrates our commitment but also provides a clear direction for our sustainability efforts. This combination ensures a well-rounded approach to ESG management, covering reporting, climate resilience, and global sustainability objectives.
Last but no least, appointed a creditable third party to certified company as qualified ESG company will be a strong confident to other stakeholder too

by Marium Ishaque -
I would choose ESG tools based on what information our organization needs to make the best decision and what information the most important stakeholders are interested in.
For instance, I would pick SASB tool as it identifies the sustainability-related risks and opportunities most relevant to investors decision making. I would choose B corp certification if I am interested in measuring company's overall ESG practices. Furthermore it provides third party assurance, help company earn recognition, credibility and confidence to stakeholders.
If our company and stakeholders are interested in information related to environmental impact of our company's performance, I would choose CDP tool.
Hence, it is important to understand and prioritize ESG tools based on the internal and external demand for information.

by Cristina Mas Luengo -
Selecting the most appropriate ESG tool depends on your organization's specific goals, industry, and stakeholders. It's important to assess which tool aligns best with your reporting needs and resources. GRI and SASB offer comprehensive frameworks, ISSB focuses on standardization, CDP emphasizes environmental data, and DJSI provides a ranking perspective. Consider what aspects of ESG are most relevant to your organization and choose the tool(s) that address those needs effectively.
In reply to Cristina Mas Luengo

by Yudhi Pradhana -
Spot on.
We can also always refer to local ESG regulations, international standard/and best-practice from globally accepted sustainability bodies 

by Muhammad Harith Zamsaimi -
The most appropriate ESG Tools from my opinion would be the combination of GRI and SASB. As GRI is the most widely used ESG Standards globally and SASB offering the standards necessary to disclose financially-material sustainability information, its combination will make it more prescriptive and important for the stakeholders, shareholders and investors to better understand how the organization is managing its ESG impacts and risks and how is its ESG performance.

There has also been recent talks about GRI and SASB to create a 'unified' ESG Reporting for the ease of organizations intending to use both in their ESG Reporting.

Nonetheless, it is also preferable to verify with local regulations or authorities, as mentioned by others. This is because there might be some countries with ESG regulations or demands to use specific ESG Reporting standards or framework by the government.
In reply to Muhammad Harith Zamsaimi

by Yudhi Pradhana -
Thank you for your answer.

Agree both GRI and SASB are amongst the mostly used ESG tools. Fun fact: both Standard complement each other.
Additionally I would recommend using the B Impact Assessment to measure, manage and identify ESG improvement.

by Nur Asmira Mohamad Afzan -
In actuality, it depends on the target audience that my organization chooses to work with. For instance, the ideal combination would be GRI and SASB. GRI is a widely used reporting framework that addresses social, environmental, and economic issues. While SASB concentrates on industry-specific standards, customizing reporting to a company's sector, its worldwide recognition increases credibility. This precision helps with pertinent ESG disclosures.