Christopher Marquis

Skip to main content

Embracing Sustainable Impact at Dr. Bronner's

Embracing Sustainable Impact at Dr. Bronner's

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 0

In the landscape of sustainable business practices, Dr. Bronner's stands out. Best known in North America for their top-selling natural soaps, the family-owned enterprise recently ventured into the realm of dark chocolate bars. This move, far from being a departure from their core focus, actually fits well with company's commitment to environmental and social integrity as it allows them to foster regenerative practices in global supply chains.  

I discuss Dr. Bronner’s work in my forthcoming book, The Profiteers: How Business Privatizes Profit and Socializes Cost, especially their role in the creation of a new Regenerative Organic Certification.  

My recent discussion with Michael Bronner shed light on the principles that have guided the company’s evolution from soap-making days under his father's guidance to its current position as an important advocate for regenerative practices.  

If you are in Southern California next week on May 14, please attend the book launch for The Profiteers at the University of San Diego where I will share the stage with leaders from Dr. Bronner’s and other San Diego companies.  

Here are some key insights from my Forbes article on Dr. Bronner's

• The Legacy of Soap and Soul: "We say soap and soul were intertwined at the very beginning," Bronner shares, emphasizing the dual nature of their business as both a provider of quality products and a champion for social causes. Their mission is to uphold the legacy of making a positive impact on both people and the planet. 

• Commitment to Regenerative Practices: Dr. Bronner's has not only secured Regenerative Organic Certification and Fair Trade status but also vigorously advocated for environmental policies. Bronner explains, "By focusing on regenerative organic practices, we aim to enhance the wellbeing of the soil, which in turn supports the health of the planet and its inhabitants." 

• Building Relationships with Suppliers: The company's approach to choosing suppliers is deeply rooted in partnership and fairness. "Finding the right partners is crucial to building our supply chain," Bronner states, highlighting their commitment to fair trade principles and mutual growth. 

• B Corp Certification and Family Values: As a Certified B Corporation, Dr. Bronner's places a strong emphasis on sustainability and community. "B Corp status helps us measure our impact and ensures we remain true to our values as we grow," says Bronner. The company's family-owned nature further influences its long-term vision and practices, ensuring they remain grounded in their founding principles. 

Dr. Bronner's journey from soap to chocolate is more than just a business expansion; it's a manifestation of their dedication to positive social and environmental impact. As they continue to grow and evolve, they set a benchmark for companies worldwide, proving that business success and social responsibility can go hand in hand.