Skip to main content

World Centric: Pioneering Systemic Solutions for Global Challenges

World Centric: Pioneering Systemic Solutions for Global Challenges

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 0

World Centric, a manufacturer of compostable and reusable packaging products was founded in 2004 as a non-profit dedicated to reducing economic injustice and environmental degradation.  In 2009 the company made the unique transition from a non-profit to a for-profit and earned B Corp certification the following year. World Centric gives 25% of its profits to social and environmental organizations and through its products has the mission of being of service to people and the planet. 

I had the privilege of speaking with Aseem Das, the founder and CEO of World Centric and other company leaders to delve into what drove this transition, the company's mission, achievements, and its unique approach to fostering systems change.  

As I discuss in my forthcoming book The Profiteers: How Business Privatizes Profit and Socializes Cost, transitioning to a for-profit business does not necessarily mean a compromise on purpose. On the contrary, as we discuss in the interview below, the transition provides new approaches for World Centric to achieve its mission and goals.  

I am also looking forward to sharing the stage with World Centric leaders at a May 29 at 5pm at SOMO Cowork.

Read more below for some key points from my article on World Centric
  • Commitment to Social and Environmental Impact: Das encapsulates the essence of World Centric's mission, stating, "We hope to create lasting change for people and the planet by partnering with nonprofits committed to community-based development, providing basic needs while addressing the system flaws that created those barriers to begin with."  

• Strategic Shift from Non-Profit to For-Profit: Reflecting on the transition, Das explains, "Conversion to a for-profit was relatively straightforward as we had not taken any public donations or grants while we were a non-profit." This strategic shift allowed World Centric to scale its impact by focusing on the sale of compostable products, better aligning its business operations with its social mission. 

• Generosity in Sharing Profits: A cornerstone of World Centric's philosophy is its commitment to donating at least 25% of its profits to grassroots social and environmental nonprofits which shows the company's dedication to leveraging its success for the greater good, supporting projects and organizations that align with its mission. 

• System Change as a Core Objective: Janae Lloyd, Director of Impact at World Centric, elaborates on the company's focus on systems change, defining it as "implementing a process or intervention to shift the structure and status quo of a particular system." Through this lens, World Centric identifies and works to address the cyclical systems perpetuating poverty and environmental degradation. 

• B Corp Certification and Systems Change: Lloyd also notes that being a B Corp aligns World Centric with a collective movement focused on a more inclusive and sustainable future which reflects the company's commitment to high standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency. 

World Centric's journey from a grassroots non-profit to a B Corp is an example of how businesses can drive social and environmental change and work to address systemic issues holistically and contribute to sustainable, long-term improvements for communities and the environment alike.