Christopher Marquis

Skip to main content

Regenerative Business: Lessons from Patagonia

Regenerative Business: Lessons from Patagonia

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 0

Climate change, biodiversity loss, and environmental degradation threaten the very foundation of our global ecosystem. However, there is still room to not only reduce harm but also create positive good, according to Patagonia's Director of Philosophy, Vincent Stanley.

I recently spoke with Stanley about his new book, The Future of the Responsible Company: What We've Learned from Patagonia's First 50 Years, to understand how Patagonia is pioneering the regenerative business model. Regeneration, as Stanley emphasizes, goes beyond traditional sustainability by actively creating positive good for the world.

This conversation aligns with themes I explore in my forthcoming book, The Profiteers: How Business Privatizes Profit and Socializes Cost.

Key Insights from Vincent Stanley and Patagonia

• Patagonia Provisions: "One of the most significant strides we've taken towards regeneration is through Patagonia Provisions," Stanley said. This venture advances regenerative agriculture, aiming to produce high-quality food products while restoring soil health, enhancing biodiversity, and sequestering carbon. "It's about giving back to nature as much as we take."

• Circular Thinking and Waste Reduction: Stanley highlighted the importance of reusing and recycling. "One business’s waste can become another company's feedstock," he explained, emphasizing Patagonia's efforts to foster a virtuous cycle of positive impacts. This approach reduces the environmental footprint and promotes sustainable production and consumption.

• Regenerative Agriculture: Discussing Patagonia's focus on the food business, Stanley noted, "Regenerative agriculture has huge potential, not just forgoing chemicals but adopting practices that bring the soil back to health." This commitment extends to all Patagonia products, encouraging customers to repair, reuse, or recycle, contributing to a longer product lifecycle and a more sustainable consumer culture.

• Ownership Reform: In September 2022, Patagonia underwent a significant change in its ownership structure, transferring ownership to the Patagonia Perpetual Purpose Trust and the Holdfast Collective. "This unique arrangement ensures the company operates with a long-term perspective, prioritizing environmental goals over profit-making," Stanley explained.

• Mission Statement Evolution: About five years ago, Patagonia changed its mission statement to "We're in business to save our home planet," reflecting its commitment to addressing the environmental crisis urgently. "This shift has profoundly influenced how our team approaches their work," Stanley said.

• Future Vision: Looking ahead, Stanley expressed hope for closer relationships with customers, not just commercially but as partners in environmental action. "By 2033, I hope we can work together to address climate change, freshwater shortages, and biodiversity loss, treating these issues as interconnected parts of a larger problem."

Patagonia's journey towards regeneration offers valuable lessons for business leaders aiming to create more sustainable and impactful companies. By rethinking ownership structures, embracing regenerative agriculture, and fostering circular economies, Patagonia demonstrates that businesses can play a pivotal role in addressing global environmental challenges.

As I discuss in The Profiteers: How Business Privatizes Profit and Socializes Cost, these strategies not only reduce harm but actively contribute to a healthier planet. Business leaders can learn from Patagonia’s example, integrating these practices into their own operations to drive meaningful change and create a sustainable future for all.