Skip to main content

The little red wagon creating environmental and social impact

The little red wagon creating environmental and social impact

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 0

Radio Flyer, the maker of The Original Little Red Wagon™, is an iconic brand that instantly transports many people to a happy time —the best parts of childhood. In September 2022, Radio Flyer became a Certified B Corp, becoming the first global toy and eBike manufacturer so recognized for its commitment and progress toward positive environmental and social impact.

I recently had a chance to catch-up with Robert Pasin, the Chief Wagon Officer of Radio Flyer. I am also looking forward to visiting the Radio Flyer HQ in my upcoming trip to Chicago, to talk about my new book The Profiteers. 

Pasin told me how he has focused the company on sustainability and practices such as carbon-neutral shipping, aiming to stand apart from the fad-driven, packaging-heavy nature of the toy industry. While families have trusted and loved Radio Flyer for 105 years, Pasin had to pave his own path and reinvent the company to ensure the brand could continue to evolve to meet customers' needs without losing the brand nostalgia that so many know and love. Here are some key points from my article on Radio Flyer:

• Much effort has gone into making Radio Flyer’s product sustainable. “Our entire product line is now 99.6% PVC-free, and we have started replacing polybags with more paper-based packaging, saving more than 43,000 pounds of single-use packaging per year,” Pasin says. “In addition, the carbon emissions from each item purchased on RadioFlyer.com are 100% offset through a verified emission reduction project.”

• Traditionally a toy manufacturer,  Radio Flyer recently launched its its first line of adult eBike, The Flyer™. “This shift made sense for us because most of our products are designed for active play and aim to get kids outside, which is the role these eBikes play for the whole family,” Pasin says. “We are passionate about helping parents rethink transportation and consider a more sustainable and convenient mode for the whole family.  In fact, we are hearing so many stories about parents using the eBikes to skip the dreaded school carpool lines.”

• Pasin says that toy industry while seeking to become more sustainable, faces unique challenges including the broad use of plastic and the reliance on overconsumption. “This is a large part of why we at Radio Flyer feel a unique responsibility to do better. We recognize that sustainability is not just a passing trend and are looking to be a leader in this space,” he says.

• Pasin believes that consumers are becoming aware of the sustainability issue and will increasingly endorse brands with good track records. “We have found that consumers understand the value of products that cause less harm to the environment,” he says. “Consumers are looking for sustainable options and products they can feel good about purchasing and I think our efforts in this space give them one more reason to consider Radio Flyer.”

• Apart from its sustainability effort, Radio Flyer is also determined to create positive social impact. Employees are given the chance to provide feedback to the company on how to improve diversity and inclusion, which resulted in an action plan that touched on five areas of practices, including Hiring, Leadership & Education, People Practices, Organization Culture & Benefits, and External Partnerships.“We are committed to being anti-racist and creating an inclusive environment that makes Radio Flyer a world-class workplace,” Pasin says.

What Radio Flyer shows is that a legacy brand with more than 100 years of history, can change to prioritize positive environmental and social impact. “There is still work to be done and our push to create positive change will never stop but we are proud of the progress made to-date, and I cannot wait to see where we go next,” Pasin says with hope.