Skip to main content

Brand Activism Transitions from Taboo to Norm: Insights from Participant

Brand Activism Transitions from Taboo to Norm: Insights from Participant

by ESG Business Institute -
Number of replies: 0

In a time when brand activism transitions from taboo to a norm, and even a necessity in some sectors, the conversation around companies engaging in social issues has never been more pertinent. Recent trends suggest a significant consumer and employee support for corporations taking stances on pressing societal challenges, notably in promoting democracy and voting rights.  

In my forthcoming book, The Profiteers: How Business Privatizes Profit and Socializes Cost, I discuss in depth the power of brand activism and how it can create positive environmental and society impact.  

To delve deeper into this emerging paradigm, I had the privilege of speaking with Holly Gordon, Chief Impact Officer of Participant. This media and film company founded by Jeff Skoll, has won 21 Academy Awards out of 86 nominations and produced impactful films like "An Inconvenient Truth," "Spotlight," "Roma," and "John Lewis: Good Trouble."  

But it has also been a pioneer in using media and culture to affect social and environmental change positively. The recent regrettable news that Participant will be closing its doors made me revisit this article and research. As Skoll put it the “revolutionary changes in how content is created, distributed and consumed” made it a challenge to compete with this model. Participant had a big impact on many societal challenges and offers many positive lessons that hopefully more entrepreneurs and companies will take inspiration from.  

Read more some key points from my article on Participant

• Brand Activism: Gordon believes in the power of brands to shape culture and values, stating, "Brands should be making good trouble...They help us imagine the culture that we want." This highlights the role of companies in advocating for change beyond their products and services. 

• Storytelling: Gordon emphasizes, "It's part of the DNA of Participant...to advance social progress...It all starts with storytelling." This underscores the foundational idea that storytelling has power to inspire action and drive societal change. 

• Civic Participation: Participant's campaigns, such as Make Good Trouble and Slay The Dragon that focused on voting systems generally, have significantly contributed to increasing voter registration and awareness. "Donations...helped send more than 53,000 registration forms to eligible voters," Gordon notes, illustrating the company's tangible impact on civic engagement. 

• Support for Employees' Civic Engagement: "All of our employees will get time to vote early, to vote on Election Day, and/or to volunteer at the polls," says Gordon. Participant's commitment to facilitating employee participation in the democratic process is a testament to its values. 

• B Corp: Achieving B Corp status is a rigorous process that aligns with Participant's mission-driven approach. Gordon explains, "Becoming a B Corp was tough but it's very important...if we're trying to make this kind of change." This certification reflects Participant's dedication to not just profit, but also people and the planet. 

As businesses navigate the complexities of modern-day challenges, Participant's approach offers a compelling blueprint for corporate responsibility and activism. By prioritizing storytelling, civic participation, and a steadfast commitment to social and environmental impact, Participant not only demonstrates the importance of aligning business practices and how leaders across sectors can draw valuable lessons from Participant's endeavors, recognizing the importance of embracing a mission-driven strategy that extends beyond the bottom line to effect meaningful change in the world.